Welcome to the F-Zero Wiki!
You are free to edit anonymously, but we recommend creating an account for proper attribution!
You can also join our Discord!
Join the discussion on implementing proposals.
Nintendo (Japanese: 任天堂 nintendō; TSE: NTDOY) is a Japanese video game company that is responsible for the creation of many of the world's most popular game series, such as F-Zero, Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Pokémon, Star Fox, Pikmin and many others. The company's current president is Tatsumi Kimisima, following on from Satoru Iwata.
The company was founded in September 23, 1889 by Fusajiro Yamauchi and produced handmade Hanafuda cards. In 1929, the company was passed on to Yamauchi's son-in-law, Sekiryo Kaneda, who took up the Yamauchi name when he married Fusajiro's daughter, Tei Yamauchi. The company continued to make cards until 1949, when Kaneda decided to retire and pass the business on to his grandson, Hiroshi Yamauchi. However Yamauchi decided to change the focus of the company and expand it to the US in the late 1970's as an arcade game manufacturer. Most games made by the company were not very popular at the time and the company was losing money, so Yamauchi asked one of his employees Shigeru Miyamoto for help in making a new game, a decision that would pay off greatly. This game was none other than Donkey Kong, and it became a best seller and one of the most memorable games of all time. Another employee, Gunpei Yokoi was then brought in to make handheld consoles for playing on the go, thus giving birth to the popular Game & Watch series. In 1983, Nintendo created the Nintendo Entertainment System (Famicon in Japan) and it would forever change the video game development industry.
- Color TV Game series (1977-1982)
- Nintendo Entertainment System (1983-1994)
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System (1991-2000)
- Nintendo 64 (1996-2002)
- Nintendo GameCube (2001-2007)
- Wii (2006-2012)
- Wii U (2012-present)
- Game & Watch (1980-1991)
- Game Boy (1989-1998)
- Virtual Boy (1995-1996)
- Game Boy Pocket (1996-1998)
- Game Boy Light (1998)
- Game Boy Color (1999-2002)
- Game Boy Advance (2001-2008)
- Game Boy Advance SP (2003-2008)
- Game Boy Micro (2005-2008)
- Nintendo DS (2004-2009)
- Nintendo DS Lite (2006-2009)
- Nintendo DSi (2008-Present)
- Nintendo DSi XL (2009-2011)
- Nintendo 3DS (2011-2012)
- Nintendo 3DS XL (2012-2015)
- Nintendo 2DS (2013-Present)
- New Nintendo 3DS (2015-Present)
- New Nintendo 3DS XL (2015-Present)
- Official American website
- Official Japanese website
- Official Australian website
- Official UK and Irish website
- Official European "country selector" site
|View template Companies|
|Games||Nintendo • Amusement Vision • ND Cube • Suzak|
|Anime||4Kids Entertainment • TV Tokyo|